- InterContinental Genève 7-9 Chemin du Petit-Saconnex
- 25 Apr 2023
- Start time:
US Trade and International Economic Policy in 2023: A New Approach?
Answers from within the D.C. Halls of Power to the Questions You Always Wanted to Ask
Venue: InterContinental Genève 7-9 Chemin du Petit-Saconnex
Registration is NOW OPEN!
Join us as we put the pressing questions of our time about the direction of US trade and economic policy to a panel of former senior U.S. officials and legislators with decades of experience within Congress and the White House. With the mid-term elections completed and the 118th U.S. Congress settled in, the world wants to know what will change in the U.S. approach to international economic and geopolitical policies, and what a “worker-centric” U.S. trade policy means for them.
These questions aren’t academic for multilateral Geneva, as the U.S.’ approach – from initial concepts such as worker-centric policy and border adjustment measures, to challenges on treaty implementation and the scope of national security – can effect Geneva. But likewise, Geneva in turn can affect the U.S. approach.
This event peers into the halls of power in Washington, D.C. to ask the burning questions. What can we expect from the United States? Will it abandon multilateral Geneva, or can multilateral Geneva help bring it back into the fold? How will the upcoming 2024 election cycle shape policy? Is U.S. policy now only centered on a great power competition with China?
- Jan Walter, Senior Policy Advisor, Geneva, Akin
- Alice Tipping, Director, Trade and Sustainable Development, IISD
- Brian Arthur Pomper, Former Senate Finance Committee Chief International Trade Counsel. Partner, Washington, D.C., Akin
- Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Former Congresswoman and Chairperson of House Foreign Affairs Committee. Senior Advisor, Washington, D.C., Akin
- Clete R. Willems, Former White House Deputy National Economic Advisor. Partner, Washington, D.C., Akin
16:30 p.m. – 16:50 p.m. Arrival, Welcome Refreshments
16:50 p.m. – 17:00 p.m. Welcome Address
17:00 p.m. – 18:00 p.m. Panel Discussion
18:00 p.m. – 19:00 p.m. Drinks Reception